Registration for 2023 is now closed.
We will begin accepting applications for our next class on January 1, 2025. Please contact Andrea Severson at email@example.com to be added to the interest list or check back later for updated information.
How to apply in three steps:
- Contact Andrea Severson to let her know you’re interested: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: 515.274.4006, ext. 164. (Applications will be accepted beginning in January 2023. Download application form here.)
- Pay the $50 non-refundable application fee here.
- Secure two recommendations to go with your application. Download recommendation here.
The PrairieFire application process opens on January 1, 2023, and closes on June 15, 2023, or when the class is full. Interested persons are encouraged to apply early since enrollment is limited. Once the application (including two references and a spiritual autobiography) and application fee are received, a staff member will reach out to schedule an interview to support your discernment. Applicants should demonstrate a solid rootedness in their personal spiritual journey, a commitment to going more broadly and deeply into their spiritual lives and a commitment to enter regular individual spiritual direction.
How is Your Spirit Growing?
Do you desire a more meaningful life enriched by a deepening spiritual awareness, new ways of building and contributing to community, or living authentically in an increasingly challenging and unpredictable world? Consider applying for PrairieFire, a two-year program of spiritual formation and renewal.
PraireFire: Program Overview
PrairieFire, a two-year program of spiritual renewal, deepening and formation, provides a safe and
sacred environment to allow the clearing of our inner terrain to promote new growth. In the safety of
a community that provides support, resources and containment, we explore together our ways of
thinking, our notions about God, and negative attitudes such as attachments, aversions, judgments,
competition and expectations. We will discover how to remove the barriers of harmful thinking that
keep us from knowing the truth of our divine natures as made visible in our ordinary lives.
The result promises to be a deeper level of acceptance of self and others; a closer relationship with
the Divine; increased congruence as our lives more fully express the wonder of oneness with the
whole of creation; and a new commitment to live in heightened awareness of the presence and
activity of the Divine accompanying us in the holiness of everyday life.
PrairieFire offers an optional third year practicum for those who seek to continue deepening their
contemplative listening skills and to discern their personal ministries in the world. Meeting all of the
requirements of the practicum will lead to a certificate of completion in spiritual direction training.
- A two-day opening retreat each September (2023 and 2024). The first retreat will be Sunday,
September 24 through Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at Creighton Retreat Center (Griswold,
- Day-long gatherings on the third Saturday each month from October through June. Meetings will take place from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Mind & Spirit Counseling Center (Urbandale, IA).
- Monthly individual spiritual direction sessions (a list of spiritual directors is available).
- Three assigned books each year and monthly topical articles.
- Regular reflection and integration papers.
Gatherings include a variety of experiences:
- Opening and closing circles for meditation, centering and personal sharing.
- Topical presentations with monthly assigned readings.
- Small group spiritual direction.
- Experiential exercises with time for quiet personal reflection.
- Community-building with an emphasis on compassionate hospitality.
Participants are expected to faithfully engage in all aspects of the program.
Fees and expenses:
- Application fee: $50 (non-refundable).
- Tuition: $1,950 annually for two years.
- Books, individual spiritual direction, and your personal retreat. (These are NOT included in
the tuition and will be the responsibility of each participant.)
- Limited scholarship funds are available for those who show financial need.